Most parents go out of their way to make sure there’s nothing scary in their kid’s bedroom, but in the middle of the night, some weird sound or shadow can make their little imagination run wild. That can keep them from being able to fall back to sleep, or cause nightmares, or worse … interrupt your sleep when they come crawling into your bed.
To help make sure everyone’s getting the rest they need, try these things to make your kid’s room less scary.
- Check your mirrors - If you’ve seen enough horror or fantasy movies, you know they often feature a scene involving a reflective surface. Seeing a stray shadow in the mirror can send your kid’s thoughts into a dark place, so try moving mirrors and any other shiny surface away from their bed to help them feel at ease.
- Consider the wall decor - What looks cool during the day may take on a different appearance in the dark. Go with calming images or glow-in-the-dark stars to fire their imagination in a good way.
- Light things up - Some nightlights are too bright, others make those scary shadows we’re trying to avoid, so you have to find the sweet spot. Himalayan salt lamps give a soft glow and a strand of string lights is festive, but not so bright it keeps them awake.
- Keep the bed away from any windows - That way your kid can see the window while they’re falling asleep, which gives them a sense of security from anything that may be lurking on the other side of it.
- Keep curtains short - Floor-length curtains are an ideal spot to disappear during hide-and-seek, but at night, your child may worry something is hiding behind them. Shorter curtains or blinds don’t have that problem.
- Turn up the white noise - This will help drown out any conversations you’re having or shows you’re watching that drift into your kid’s room and the sound of rain will gently soothe them to sleep.
- Clean their room - Kids’ rooms get messy, and that mess can cause anxiety after dark. Putting toys, clothes and clutter away will help avoid that stimulation when they’re trying to go to sleep.