Some folks love Valentine’s Day and all the flowers and displays of sentiment and affection, but not everyone. There are also plenty of people who aren’t into red roses and find heart jewelry embarrassing. But if you’re the type who’d rather ignore February 14th and all the love-themed celebrating that goes with it and you’re lucky enough to find someone who feels the same way, what do you do when the Hallmark holiday rolls around?
You acknowledge your anti-Valentine’s Day feelings with these gifts and activities that are anything but romantic.
- Name a roach after them - The Bronx Zoo offers the ideal anti-Valentine’s Day gift: the chance to name a roach after someone you love, or even an ex you hate. For just $15, you can name a Madagascar hissing cockroach anything you want and it even comes with a digital certificate.
- Visit a rage room - If your heart is filled with anger and you feel the urge to break things, this is the date for you. Rage rooms can be found all over the country and they let you pay them for the pleasure of smashing things and screaming. And the best part? You don’t have to clean anything up!
- Give bondage gear and fetishwear - Are you more into fishnets and handcuffs than rose petals on the bed? Then indulge your kink, or your partner’s, with some black leather, blindfolds, or anything else you won’t find at Victoria’s Secret.
- Watch Lars von Trier movies - The Danish filmmaker is behind some of the bleakest movies ever made, so indulge in some feel-bad films like “Antichrist,” “Melancholia,” and “Nymphomaniac.”
- Buy discount candy on February 15th - You can still get all the chocolate and candy, just do it the day after Valentine’s Day when you can buy it for 50% off.
- Stand in line at the DMV - Not for a date, but to surprise your S.O. by taking the paperwork that’s been on their desk for months down to the DMV and renewing their tags for them. Fair warning - this could be seen as a romantic gesture.
- Give the ultimate anti-Valentine’s Day gift … a breakup - Sometimes people put off ending things with someone because they don’t want to ruin Valentine’s Day by dumping them right before it. But ending a toxic, or just unhappy, relationship is really the best gift you can give yourself and your soon-to-be ex.