The idea of a wife taking her husband’s last name when they got married used to be a given, but these days, many couples are bucking that tradition. And one couple is going viral on TikTok for their non-traditional way of deciding their last name as a married couple.
A friend of the newlyweds, Alyssa Danielle, posted a video sharing how the couple ditched the old school way and let a coin toss make the call. “POV: Your friends decide whose last name they are taking by a flip of a coin at the altar,” she captions the clip.
- It shows the bride and groom standing at the altar and holding hands at their outdoor wedding.
- Then a member of the wedding party flips a coin for them and announces that it was “heads” and then announces the couple as “Mr and Mrs Hanson.”
- The bride doesn’t look nearly as thrilled as her brand-new husband, so it looks like the groom won.
The video has racked up more than 1.8-million views on TikTok and many people are commenting that they love the idea:
- “My wife and I chose our own last name,” writes one user. “So cool to see so many people open to this now.”
- “I know a couple whose families had a paintball match to decide,” shares another. “Winning side determines the last name.”
- In a follow-up video, 8Danielle shares that she just thought it was a “really cool moment” at her friend’s wedding. “It was a fun, equal, non-traditional idea that they had,” she says. “Many of you guessed it right based on the facial expressions, but he did win the coin flip.”
Source: In The Know