Beth made this delicious soup and posted the pictures on Facebook. Everyone kept asking her for the recipe so here it is. Beth is planning on dishing up the leftovers for days. Enjoy!
Navy Bean Soup Recipe Ingredients
- 1 pounddried navy beans
- 1 tablespoonolive oil
- 1 large onion,peeled and chopped
- 3 carrots,peeled and sliced
- 4 celery stalks,sliced
- 1 red bell pepper,seeded and chopped
- 6 clovesgarlic,minced
- 1 tablespoonfresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoonground cumin
- 1/2-1 teaspooncrushed red pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 cupsvegetable broth
- ¼ cupchopped Italian parsley
- Salt and pepper
- The Night Before: Place the dried beans in a large bowl and cover with three inches of water. Soak the dried beans overnight (up to 24 hours) to soften. Drain when ready to use.
- Place a large 6 quart pot over medium heat. Add the oil, onions, carrots, celery, bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté for 3-5 minutes to soften.
- Then add in the drained beans, thyme, ground cumin, crushed red pepper, bay leaves, and vegetable broth. Stir in 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 60-90 minutes, covered, until the beans are very soft. Uncover and stir occasionally, then place the lid back on top.
Once the beans are soft and silky, remove the bay leaves. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Stir in the parsley and serve.