Jan's Kitchen Tips!
1. The Baking Soda Test- Test freshness of baking soda by sprinkling a teaspoon into
a 1/4 cup of vinegar. If it bubbles and foams, it's fresh!
2. The Baking Powder Test-Test freshness of baking powder by sprinkling a teaspoon
into a 1/4 cup of water. If it bubbles and foams, it's fresh!
3. How do Baking Soda and Baking Powder work?
Baking soda reacts with acidic ingredients--like milk. Believe it or not milk has acid in it!
Baking powder just needs moisture and heat to activate
Whisking from side to side instead of in circles will be more effective and quicker for
firming ingredients than whisking side to side. That's because whisking side to side
applies more shear force. The two most popular and all-purpose whisks are the
balloon whisk and the French whisk.
5. Snack Container, Mini Salt and Pepper purse shaker and the sponge holder all found
at The Container Store (Mayo Blvd and Scottsdale Road.)
6. Uses for disposable Gloves!
1) Grips jar tops for easier opening
2) Make a kid's seed starter by wetting cotton balls, placing them in each finger. Add
one seed and hang on a window sill with tape.
Watch the Facebook Live video below to get all these tips with the fun included! And the stuff
that wasn't on the radio!