Fans of Meat Loaf might not be able to see him onstage any time soon -- but get ready, because composer Jim Steinman’s Bat Out Of Hell - The Musical is coming to New York City, according to Best Classic Bands. The critically acclaimed production premiered on London's West End back in 2017, and features Steinman's songs from Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell trilogy -- 1977's Bat Out Of Hell, 1993's Bat Out Of Hell II: Back Into Hell, and 2006's Bat Out Of Hell III: The Monster Is Loose. The "Big Apple" stand will run for six weeks at the New York City Center starting on August 1st.
There's no word whether Meat Loaf will be on hand for the opening night after breaking his collarbone earlier this month while appearing at the Texas Fightmare Weekend -- a horror movie convention.
DID YOU KNOW???
- In addition to his classics for Meat Loaf, Jim Steinman wrote Air Supply's 1983 Top Two hit, "Making Love Out Of Nothing At All" as well as writing and producing Bonnie Tyler's four-week 1983 chart-topper "Total Eclipse Of The Heart."
- Among the rock heavyweights that Steimnan enlisted for the "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" backing track were guitarist Rick Derringer, and the E Street Band's pianist Roy Bittan and drummer Max Weinberg -- both of whom first worked with Steinman on 1977's Bat Out Of Hell.
- FAST FACTS
- Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell has sold more over 43 million copies since its 1977 release and still sells around 200,000 copies annually.
- Although a mainstay on radio since its release, the Bat Out Of Hell album only got as far as Number 14, with none of its singles hitting the Top 10 -- "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad" (#11), "Paradise By The Dashboard Light" (#39), and "You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth" (#39).
- 1993's Bat OutOfHell II: Back Into Hell sold over 15 million copies, with the album's single "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)" topping the charts in 28 countries -- including five weeks on top of the Billboard Hot 100.
- The track earned Meat Loaf the Grammy Award for Best Rock Vocal Performance, Solo.