The 2019 nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame have been announced with Stevie Nicks, Radiohead, Todd Rundgren, Def Leppard, and Janet Jackson leading the nominees, according to Rolling Stone. 2019's shortlist also includes Devo, John Prine, Kraftwerk, LL Cool J, MC5, Rage Against The Machine, Roxy Music, Rufus & Chaka Khan, and the Zombies. Although several of this year's nominees have made the nominating ballot in the past, this year marks the first first appearance for Def Leppard, Devo, Prine, Roxy Music, Nicks, and Rundgren.
The top Rock Hall vote-getters will be announced in December and inducted on March 29th at a ceremony at Brooklyn’ New York's Barclays Center. HBO will broadcast a truncated version of the ceremony later in the year.
To be eligible for this year's ballot, each nominee's first single or album had to be released in 1993 or earlier. For the seventh consecutive year, the public will have the opportunity to vote alongside the more than 800 artists, historians and music industry insiders of the Rock Hall voting body. Fans can vote on the Rock Hall's site https://www.rockhall.com/fanvote/ for the nominees they'd like to see inducted. The top five acts will comprise a "fan's ballot" that will count as one of the ballots that determine the class of 2019.
As in recent years, the Hall of Fame has announced the individual members of each band that will be inducted -- via RollingStone.com:
- The current lineup of Def Leppard -- with the late-Steve Clark and original guitarist Pete Willis will be inducteed.
- The classic Roxy Music lineup of Bryan Ferry, Brian Eno, Andy Mackay, Phil Manzanera, Eddie Jobson, and Paul Thompson will be recoognized, yet none of the band's bassists will.
- The core Kraftwerk lineup of Karl Bartos, Wolfgang Flur, Ralf Hutter, Florian Schneider.
- The Cure will be represented by Robert Smith, Porl Thompson, Perry Bamonte, Michael Dempsey, Simon Gallup, Lol Tolhurst, Boris Williams, Jason Cooper, and Roger O’Donnell.
- Rufus featuring Chaka Khan will be represented by Dennis Belfield, Al Ciner, Andre Fischer, Chaka Khan, Tony Maiden, Nate Morgan, Kevin Murphy, Ron Stockert, and Bobby Watson.
THE FOLLOWING ARTISTS ARE STILL NOT IN THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME
Boston, the Monkees, Joe Cocker, Sonny & Cher, Don Henley, Bernie Taupin, Brian Wilson, Gram Parsons, Billy Squier, Grand Funk Railroad, Frankie Avalon, Squeeze, Pat Benatar, Badfinger, Big Star, the Flying Burrito Brothers, Sting, Humble Pie, Eddie Money, Harry Nilsson, T. Rex, Beatles recording engineers Norman Smith and Geoff Emerick, Styx, Free, Billy Idol, Duran Duran, Rockpile, Culture Club, Lenny Kravitz, the Runaways, rock photographers Jim Marshall, Ethan Russell, Gered Mankowitz, Dezo Hoffman, Astrid Kirchherr, Annie Leibovitz, Henry Diltz, and Bob Gruen; Chubby Checker, the Guess Who, rock journalist Lester Bangs, the Turtles, Rolling Stones pianist and co-founder Ian Stewart, Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels, Kansas, Ronnie Lane, Thin Lizzy, Joe Walsh, Delaney & Bonnie, Poco, the Dictators, Brian Eno, Television, Phil Ramone, Meat Loaf, America, XTC, the Searchers, Leslie Gore, the Raspberries, the B-52s, Paul Revere & The Raiders, Herman's Hermits, Mountain, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Blue Oyster Cult, Chic, the New York Dolls,Peter Frampton, Jethro Tull, Foreigner, Bad Company, and many more.