Some of the biggest names in pop and country turned up at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood for the Radio Disney Music Awards over the weekend to celebrate the past year in music. Selena Gomez, BTS, Marshmello and Maren Morris all tied for most nominations with four each.
BTS were clearly feeling the most love, sweeping all of their categories, Best Group, Dance Track, Fiercest Fans and Best Song That Makes You Smile for “DNA.”
Janet Jackson was not only the first recipient of the Radio Disney Impact award, but the honor will live on in her name, Raven Simone and Fifth Harmonyalum Normani Kordei announced.
Kelly Clarkson was honored with the 2018 RDMA Icon Award. The award was presented to her by current American Idol winner Maddie Poppe and The Voicewinner Brynn Cartelli.
While accepting her award, Janet thanked her father Joe Jackson amid reports that her 89-year-old father has been hospitalized with terminal cancer.
“It’s beautiful, it’s humbling to be recognized as someone that has had a positive impact, but if I have been fortunate enough to impact others it is only because I, myself, have been greatly impacted by positive people in my life,” Janet said. She continued: “My mother nourished me with the most extravagant love imaginable, my father, my incredible father, drove me to be the best that I can…My siblings set an incredibly high standard for artistic excellence… Sometimes, having an impact can be as simple as a smile, a handshake, or a hug.”
Carrie Underwood was honored with the Hero Award in recognition of her generosity, humanitarian efforts and dedication to supporting a myriad of charities. The award was presented to her by former American Idol judge Randy Jackson.
The two-hour show was highlighted by rousing performances, including several mashups: Kelly Clarkson ran through her own hits – among them: “Since U Been Gone,” “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You),” “My Life Would Suck Without You” and “Miss Independent” – as did Meghan Trainor, combining “Let You Be Right,” “All About That Bass,” “Can’t Dance,” “Me Too” and “No Excuses” as the show opener. Carrie Underwood delivered “The Champion” featuring Ludacris.
Additional performers included Charlie Puth, sporting newly bleached hair, Echosmith, DJ Marshmello and Maddie Poppe.
- Best Duo/Group: BTS
- Best Artist: Shawn Mendes
- Song of the Year: “Havana” – Camila Cabello
- Best Crush Song: “Perfect” – Ed Sheeran
- Fiercest Fans: BTS Army – BTS
- Breakout Artist of the Year: Camila Cabello
- Best New Artist: Bebe Rexha
- Best Song that Makes You Smile: “DNA” – BTS
- Favorite Social Music Artist: Max & Harvey
- Best Song To Lip Sync To: “New Rules” – Dua Lipa
- Best Dance Track: “Mic Drop (Steve Aoki Remix)” – BTS
- Radio Disney Country Favorite Song: “Meant To Be” – Bebe Rexha & Florida Georgia Line
- Radio Disney Country Favorite Artist: Kelsea Ballerini
- Radio Disney Country Best New Artist: Carly Pearce
- Best Collaboration: “It Ain’t Me” – Kygo & Selena Gomez