Fast-food menu items come and go pretty often these days with some discontinued temporarily and some permanently. There are always customers who get very upset when one of their favorites is removed from menus and there are often petitions to return the items so you still may have some input if yours is suddenly gone. Here’s a list of items that have gone away so far in 2023.
- Dunkin’ Dunkaccino – removed from menus in mid-March, this item first appeared in 2000 with a frozen version in 2015 and they are gone for good with Dunkin’ streamlining its menu to make room for more drinks. Not all is lost because there’s a secret menu hack on TikTok and if you order a hot chocolate with a turbo shot you basically get the Dunkaccino.
- Dunkin’ Thin Mint Flavor Swirl – this drink was launched in 2018 with the flavor of Girl Scout cookies but Dunkin’ pulled it from menus at the end of Girl Scout cookie season this year. Dunkin says “At this time, we don’t have any plans to bring back the Thin Mint Flavor Swirl” but you may be able to make something close to it at home by using Big Train brand Chocolate Mint with coffee.
- KFC’s Kentucky Fried Wings – chicken wings at KFC didn’t seem to be working out so these and four other menu items were dropped from the menu in February of 2023. KFC said “removing a few items…will allow us to make room for some new, exciting additions to the menu in 2023.”
- KFC’s Popcorn Chicken Combo – this item is leaving menus in spring 2023. Their chicken tenders remain but some customers aren’t pleased. u/Chelsea75 from Reddit says “The popcorn chicken was the best thing on the menu” but others report that the quality of the popcorn chicken had declined so it’s gone.
- KFC’s Nashville Hot Sauce – when Nashville hot chicken became popular, KFC introduced the hot sauce back in 2016 and it was removed this spring. It’s not a popular decision with many customers with Redditor u/CoryanddtheBrain saying “They’ve basically been begging me to stop visiting for the past few years but this would be the final nail in the coffin.”
- KFC’s Strawberry Lemonade – this item is another one removed in 2023 that used Dole Classic lemonade with strawberry. The simplified menu still has lemonade but not strawberry due to what is believed to be a lack of sales.
- KFC’s Chocolate Chip Cookies – KFC baked their own cookies on site once upon a time but in 2019 they started using pre-packaged ones and the ratings were less than stellar. u/exick on Reddit said “Good riddance to those chocolate chip cookies, which are major trash.”
- Panera’s Grilled Mac & Cheese Sandwich – this was a sandwich made with mac and cheese featuring Parmesan Cheese Crisps but it wasn’t popular with adults and employees found it time-consuming to make. It’s consequently no longer on Panera’s menu.
- Starbucks Raspberry Syrup – the official announcement from Starbucks recently said “Customers can expect limited inventory at stores throughout March as we remove it from our menu”, referring to the syrup. It’s been discontinued once before, so fans can hope that it may be reinstated again in the future.
- Wendy’s Avocado Chicken Salad – this item was removed from menus as of March 2023 and is being replaced by a new Grilled Chicken Cobb Salad on March 28. Other new salads arriving this spring will also include a Parmesan Caesar Salad, Taco Salad, and Apple Pecan Salad for fans that are unhappy with the removal of this one.
- Wendy’s Grilled Chicken Sandwiches – customers prefer their chicken sandwiches fried and spicy and are not that unhappy that the grilled sandwiches have disappeared in 2023. According to a leaked Wendy’s internal memo on Reddit, Wendy’s is in the process of replacing large pieces of grilled chicken with diced chicken which could save the company $20 million to $30 million every year. If you want a chicken sandwich at Wendy’s now it will have to be fried.