On a hot summer day, there’s nothing better than taking your kids to the movies. Not only are they entertained, the dark, cool theater gives parents a much-needed break, also known as “air-conditioned napping opportunities.” But with tickets and concession stand snacks for multiple people, going to the movies can get pretty pricey. Luckily, theater owners realize this and are offering deals to help parents out.
Here’s how to take your kids to the movies this summer for a lot less:
- Support your local theater - If you live near an independent movie theater, check out their website for summer matinee deals or kid movie clubs to see what they offer. Regional theater chains may also have better deals than the big chains, like Harkins in the Southwest that offers different summer movies every week for just $1 a ticket.
- To see cheap movies at Cinemark theaters - This nationwide chain’s Summer Movie Clubhouse offers $2 tickets to kids’ flicks like “Scoob!” and “Sing 2” for eight weeks starting on June 15th. They even have a $1 discount on kids’ snack packs or popcorn and drink combos.
- To see cheap movies at Regal theaters - This chain’s Summer Movie Express is also offering $2 tickets to some older family-friendly movies on Tuesdays and Wednesdays starting in June.
- To see cheap movies at AMC theaters - The largest theater chain in the U.S. doesn’t specifically have deals for children’s matinees, but they do have a “Fan Faves” promo that will save you. Anyone can buy a $5 plus tax ticket to a second-run movie every day and right now you can see “Uncharted” and “Sing 2” for that bargain price.
- Bring your own snacks and drinks - If you’re not already doing this as a parent and the ethical gray-area doesn’t bother you, this will really cut down on the cost. While some theaters have rules against bringing in your own food, it’s not like the bored teenager taking your ticket is going to ask to check your bag. Having your own snacks will not only help you spend less, you can control what the kids are eating, whether you stash healthy stuff in your bag or it’s full of candy.