The official start of spring is almost here, and after a dreary winter, a lot of folks hope to brighten things up with some spring travel.
According to TripAdvisor’s Spring Travel Index:
- 53% of Americans are expected to travel between March 1st and May 31st.
- And those who are traveling are okay with opening their wallets.
- In fact, 51% plan to spend more this spring than they did last year.
- 23% say they plan to spend “significantly” more.
- Year over year, the average spend per booking is up 87%.
- Of course, certain travel dates tend to be more popular than others, witih the most popular being March 31st, followed by March 11th and 12th.
So where is everyone going?
- 77% of spring travelers will be sticking to domestic trips.
- 23% plan to travel internationally, with seven of the Top 10 fastest growing spring destinations being outside the U.S.
- The most popular spring travel destination is Orlando, followed by Las Vegas and Cancun.
- The fastest growing spring destination is Honolulu Hawaii, followed by Paris, Lahaina, Hawaii and London.
- The top reasons folks are traveling this spring include:
- Rest and relaxation (51%)
- Escaping day to day life (49%)
- Visiting family and friends (44%)