While folks love all sorts of vacations, for many the best kind of getaway is a road trip, where they can enjoy all sorts of different experiences.
A new survey finds:
- The average person has taken seven road trips over the course of their lifetime.
- The average road tripper is willing to travel about seven and a half hours on their journey.
- About half of road trippers prefer to go through small towns on their road trip.
- This could be why 78% of Americans have found hidden gems on their road trip.
- While some may have a specific destination in mind for their road trip, 35% of travelers say they enjoy a mix of planned and unexpected stops.
- Among the most popular destinations:
- Restaurants (46%)
- Historic locations (40%)
- Roadside attractions (38%)
So, what are folks favorite things about road trips?
- 53% say they love the opportunity to travel on their own schedule.
- 51% say they give them a chance to bond with their family and friends.
- 48% love being able to make stops along the way.
- 46% say it’s a more cost-effective way to travel.
- Folks love road trips so much that 76% say they would choose to drive rather than fly if they knew the drive would be more enjoyable.