Does the idea of lacing up your sneakers fill you with pre-workout dread? Just because we know exercise is good for us doesn’t mean everyone likes doing it. Personal trainerStephanie Mansourhas worked with clients who started their fitness journey by not enjoying workouts at all and these are the tips she uses to help them like it more so they actually stick with it.
- Channel your inner child- Kids love running and playing outside, but they don’t think of it as exercise, they’re just doing what they love. So apply that same idea to your workouts by finding ways to get physically active that you actually enjoy. No need to force yourself to run if you hate it when you could go ice skating or dancing instead.
- Make it a game- If you’re into sports, try joining an intramural team for adults or organizing your own with friends and family. Not into team sports? Get creative with a fun activity, like making a DIY obstacle course in the backyard.
- Track your progress in an app- Seeing your hard work get you closer to your goal can help you stay motivated and tracking your progress in an app makes that easy.
- Find a community in-person or online- Being around people who are also working toward a fitness goal can influence how you see exercise. It can be as simple as walking your dog with a neighbor, meeting friends for a bike ride or going to a weekly yoga class. And you can also find that sense of community online through social media or a fitness app where you can share goals, progress and setbacks.
- Distract yourself- If you pair something you like with your movement, the time will pass more quickly and you might actually start looking forward to your workouts.Try only allowing yourself to listen to a podcast or watch episodes of a show while you’re on the treadmill to see if it helps motivate you.
- Reward yourself- When you do finish exercising, treat yourself to your favorite form of relaxation. That post-workout treat will give you something to look forward to and that can keep you going during a tough workout.