It’s no secret that a lot of men know nothing about a woman’s period, but one guy thinks he’s so knowledgeable he has a right to tell his girlfriend what to do, and the Internet s divided over it.
A man shares on Reddit that he is very disturbed by how his girlfriend handles her time of the month. He says she’s very “forgetful” and because of that she doesn’t change her tampons regularly, and he’s concerned it could lead to her having health problems like Toxic Shock Syndrome.
"I have no issue with women using tampons. I have an issue with HER using tampons,” he writes. “I have a few reasons for this,” noting she doesn’t change them regularly, and “doesn’t take risks seriously.”
The man insists he’s concerned she’ll get sick, and after a recent incident which forced her to seek medical attention he demanded she stop using tampons. Not surprising, he says she’s “furious” and says he’s “being controlling,” but he notes it’s a “dealbreaker” for him.
He then asked the folks on Reddit to chime in with their opinion, and reactions were surprisingly mixed. Most people took the side of the girlfriend, insisting he has no right to tell her what type of sanitary product to use.
- "You do not need to micromanage her period,” one person noted, while another added, "It seems like you’re well-meaning, but this isn’t really your call to make. How would you feel if she asked you to stop using toilet paper because she thought you 'used it wrong'?"
- Finally another noted, "You can express your worries but you don't get to forbid her or require her to do something different with her body and body functions.”
- But there were some people who agreed with OP.
- "I could not disagree with this more,” one person shared. “As a loving partner in a relationship, he can totally ban his gf from doing something that is harmful.
- Another added, “This is taking 'her body, her choice' way too far, and out of context. She is repeatedly doing something that could end up being fatal.”