Some people love putting up lights and Christmas trees as soon as the cool weather hits in the fall so they can enjoy the joy the season brings them for as long as possible. But for some folks, just the thought of having to drag the ornaments and stockings out and turn the house into a winter wonderland is more than they can take. If you don’t have the mental or physical energy to get into full-on Christmas mode this year, but you want to bring some holiday cheer to your home, these low-key decorating tips can help.
- It’s beginning to smell a lot like Christmas- Grab some of those cinnamon-scented pine cones or even a frosted pine or gingerbread candle and you’ll get to enjoy the festive fragrance every time you walk in.
- Focus your efforts- If decorating the entire house is just too much, pick one spot to be the holiday area and use your favorite decorations there. And if you hang a wreath on the front door, your neighbors and delivery people will think you went all out.
- Keep the tree simple- People who live in magazines can have 12-foot Douglas firs with hand-blown glass ornaments, but they don’t have kids and pets. Think small, forget being Pinterest-perfect with your Christmas tree, and hang anything that makes you happy on it.
- Let there be lights- Twinkly lights make everything look better, so even if you just string a strand around the perimeter of your living room or drape them over the mantle, you’ll be glad you did.
- Let your loved ones decorate for you- We’re not talking about having them over and potentially swapping dangerous germs, just taking advantage of all the holiday cards friends and family send you. Use them to deck your halls or give the kids a roll of washi tape and let them create a merry mural with all those cards, you’ve got a stack of them, so you might as well use them.
- And at the very least- Play some holiday music. From the Muppets to Sinatra to classical, there are festive tunes for every mood. Or let your favorite holiday movies be a comforting background soundtrack. Just do whatever works to make you feel jolly and nothing that gives you resting Grinch face.