Makes 24 Active Time 25 min Total Time 50 Min
- 1 cup softened butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks (slightly beaten with 1 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup sifted flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 (12-oz) package semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup light brown suga
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter until creamy. Add sugars and beat well. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add to creamed mixture. Dough will be stiff.
- Press dough flat onto a greased 10-by-14-inch baking sheet, cover with chocolate chips, and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven heat to 325°F. Make meringue topping: Beat egg whites until very stiff; add brown sugar and beat well.
- Spread meringue across top of dough (don't spread all the way to edges).
- Return to oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until meringue is very light brown and dough is set.
- Let cool; cut into bars.