Weekend Freeway Travel Advisory (Aug. 15-18):
Loop 101 restricted in Scottsdale area for widening project
Eastbound Loop 101 closed near I-17 in north Phoenix
PHOENIX —Improvement work will require closures or lane restrictions along Phoenix-area freeways this weekend (Aug. 15-18), according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. Crews have begun work on a major project to widen 11 miles of Loop 101 in the Scottsdale area. Drivers are encouraged to allow extra travel time or consider alternate routes while the following restrictions are in place:
- Southbound Loop 101 closed between Shea Boulevard and Via De Ventura in the Scottsdale area from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Aug. 18) for freeway-widening project. DETOUR: Consider alternate routes. Loop 101 traffic exiting at Shea Boulevard can detour along southbound Hayden Road or 90th Street and use Via De Ventura to re-enter Loop 101.
- Loop 101 narrowed to two lanes in both directions between Via De Ventura and McDonald Drive from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Aug. 18) for freeway-widening project. DETOUR: Please allow extra travel time and be prepared to slow down and merge safely in work zones.
- Eastbound Loop 101 closed between 51st Avenue and Interstate 17 in north Phoenix from 10 p.m. Friday to noon Sunday (Aug. 17) for traffic-flow equipment installation. Both eastbound Loop 101 ramps to I-17 closed. Eastbound Loop 101 on-ramps at 59th and 51st avenues also closed starting at 9 p.m. Friday. DETOUR: Eastbound Loop 101 traffic can detour frontage road. Consider using Union Hills Drive or Deer Valley Road to connect with I-17.
- Westbound Interstate 10 narrowed to one lane overnight between Queen Creek Road and Wild Horse Pass Boulevard from 9 p.m. Friday to 7 a.m. Saturday (Aug. 16), from 9 p.m. Saturday to 9 a.m. Sunday (Aug. 17) and from 9 p.m. Sunday to 5 a.m. Monday (Aug. 18) for new merge-lane project. DETOUR: Please allow extra travel time and be prepared to slow down and merge safely in work zone.
- Eastbound Interstate 10 closed between Citrus Road and Sarival Avenue from 10 p.m. Saturday to 6 a.m. Sunday (Aug. 17) for lane striping and ramp work at Loop 303 interchange. Citrus Road and Sarival Avenue also closed overnight between McDowell Road and Van Buren Street. DETOUR: Consider using Jackrabbit Trail or Estrella Parkway for north-south travel and to access I-10 during overnight closure.
- Westbound Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) ramp to northbound Loop 101 in Chandler closed from 3 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday (Aug. 16) for barrier wall repairs. DETOUR: Consider exiting at Price Road and traveling north to the northbound Loop 101 on-ramp at Chandler Boulevard.