Traffic Alert: I-10 closure next weekend for APS power line project will disrupt traffic near downtown Phoenix (May 10-11)
Drivers urged to plan ahead and use alternate routes
PHOENIX – A major weekend closure of Interstate 10 near downtown Phoenix is scheduled May 10-11 for an Arizona Public Service Co. power line installation project.
Drivers are urged to plan ahead, allow extra travel time and use alternate routes away from the I-10 closure between the I-17 Split near Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport and the Stack interchange near I-17 and McDowell Road, according to the Arizona Department of Transportation.
Westbound I-10 will be closed between the I-17 Split and Seventh Avenue and eastbound I-10 will be closed between the Stack interchange and the Loop 202/State Route 51 interchange from 2 a.m. Saturday, May 10 to 11 p.m. Sunday, May 11.
The westbound Loop 202 and southbound SR 51 ramps to westbound I-10 also will be closed. The westbound Loop 202 ramp to eastbound I-10 and northbound SR 51 will be open but heavy congestion and delays can be expected.
The I-10 closure is required to allow crews working on the APS project to safely remove three older power lines and replace them with six new lines in the area of the Seventh Street overpass. According to APS, the work will add a second circuit to the Seventh Street power line system to meet higher electrical demands and ensure greater reliability in the Phoenix area.
The weekend of May 10-11 was selected for the closure to allow APS to get the necessary work done before electric-power demand climbs this summer and because the Arizona Diamondbacks will be playing out of town in Chicago.
I-10 traffic approaching either end of the closure will be detoured onto I-17 south and west of downtown Phoenix. Because traffic will back up approaching the closure, drivers are advised to avoid the area if at all possible and use alternate routes to travel around the anticipated heavy freeway congestion.
Alternate routes include:
- For eastbound I-10 drivers heading to downtown Phoenix from the West Valley: Consider exiting ahead of the I-10 closure and using eastbound surface streets.
- For eastbound I-10 drivers heading to Sky Harbor Airport: Please allow plenty of extra travel time and consider using southbound I-17 to northbound 16th Street and eastbound Buckeye Road.
- For westbound I-10 drivers approaching Phoenix from Tucson, Ahwatukee or the Southeast Valley: Consider detouring along eastbound Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) in Chandler or eastbound US 60 in Tempe to northbound Loop 101.
- For westbound I-10 travelers heading to Sky Harbor Airport: Plan on using northbound State Route 143 to access the airport’s east entrance. Be prepared for westbound I-10 congestion near the US 60 interchange in Tempe and I-10 Broadway Curve. Allow plenty of extra travel time.
- For southbound I-17 travelers approaching Phoenix from Flagstaff and other northern Arizona communities: Consider detouring onto eastbound Loop 101 in north Phoenix and using southbound SR 51 to reach eastbound I-10 and Sky Harbor Airport.
- For I-10 drivers, including commercial truck drivers, with plans to travel through Phoenix: Consider using the Phoenix Bypass Route along Interstate 8 (starting in Casa Grande for westbound traffic) and State Route 85 (starting in Buckeye for eastbound traffic).
While the APS power line work is underway, ADOT also will have crews performing maintenance work in the I-10 Deck Park Tunnel.
· Westbound Loop 101 (Agua Fria Freeway) closed between 67th Avenue and Union Hills Drive in Peoria from 9 p.m. Friday to 11 a.m. Saturday (May 10) for traffic-flow equipment installation. Westbound Loop 101 on-ramps at 59th, 67th and 75th avenues also closed starting at 8 p.m. Friday. DETOUR: Westbound Loop 101 traffic will detour along frontage road.
· Eastbound Loop 101 (Agua Fria Freeway) closed between 59th and 51st avenues in Glendale from 9 p.m. Saturday to 11 a.m. Sunday (May 11) for traffic-flow equipment installation. Eastbound Loop 101 on-ramps at 67th and 59th avenues also closed starting at 8 p.m. Saturday. DETOUR: Eastbound Loop 101 traffic will detour along frontage road.
· Westbound US 60 (Superstition Freeway) narrowed to two lanes overnight between Higley Road and Mesa Drive from 9 p.m. Sunday to 4 a.m. Monday (May 12) for pothole repair. DETOUR: Please be prepared to slow down and merge safely in work zone.